Skip to main content

An Interview with Poet, Dionne Custer Edwards

by Mackenzie Boyer



Dionne Custer Edwards, photo credit - Tim Johnson
On Saturday, April 11, Dionne Custer Edwards will conduct a workshop on the Otterbein University campus in Westerville, Ohio, and hosted by Ohio Poetry Association (OPA). Here’s a description of the upcoming event from Dionne herself:

"We will work with words on and off the page by working through the writing process with our five senses—focusing very much on sound as it pertains to writing, reading, or performing a poem. My hope is that we all leave with something we write, revise through workshop, and share using strategies and techniques that evoke the five senses on and off the page. We will engage with the entire writing process. The goal is to focus on how to get those words out of our journals, off our laptops, and out into the public space (if we want them there)."

Continue reading to learn more about Dionne and her life as a writer and an educator. Then on Saturday, come to the workshop to support Ohio Poetry Association and hear Dionne speak about ‘Writing in Open Space: On (and Off) the Page.’

Question: Since you studied music composition alongside English, I was curious as to why you chose to continue studying this and how exactly it affected your writing in positive ways?

Dionne: Music composition was only one portion of my music studies. I actually studied music theory and piano from the age of four years old, flute from the age of eight, and had a brief stint with oboe and upright bass in middle school. I studied music throughout my life and quite seriously. I studied for over ten years at the Cleveland Institute of Music, and at a point in high school, I thought I might find myself applying to a conservatory of music in college. I toyed with a career in instrumental music, performance maybe, but ultimately writing was my path. 

Q: What inspired you to go into teaching writing? What exactly do you teach to the students at the Wexner Center? How do those students inspire you as a writer?

Dionne: I’ve always been interested in education, teaching. Due to my interest in writing, arts education [and] teaching writing felt like a natural progression in my career.

In my work I engage with students on opening up pathways to their writing through dynamic arts experiences in the galleries, on the screen (films and video), and on the stage. I work with students on how to find inspiration for writing in new and different ways, and on how to move through the writing process by engaging with the creative process. What can writers learn from other artists? I also work closely with teachers on how to integrate the arts in the teaching of the writing process. I find this work fulfilling, interesting, navigating our ideas and the writing process alongside sophisticated creative concepts and the creative experimentation, research, and process of contemporary art. I am learning alongside students and teachers I work with at the Wexner Center. We are all in this teaching and learning together.

Q: What advice would you give to people of all ages when it comes to stepping into the literary world? Is there a good stepping stone that you've found or ways someone can get involved in this world?

Dionne: I have no magical advice. I think as writers we continue to just put one foot in front of the other and engage opportunities as they come. I think writing every day, or at least consistently, is key. I think it helps to find a community of creatives or other writers, people who inspire you, hear you, support your process, and you can support their work. Ultimately once you’re writing, attending classes or workshops, revising, I say get out there and go to readings and other cool literary events to not only hear others’ work but to get your work out there as well.

Q: What is your favorite style of writing/what style do you lean to more?

Dionne: I suppose I like many different types and styles of writing, but I am particularly fond of poetry and creative nonfiction. I like writers that lean on life experiences and give an authentic and creative voice to the complexities of life. I'm trying to do that with my blog lifeandwrite.com. I want to make the everyday accessible. I tend to write poetry, lyrical prose, prose poetry. I like to experiment, blur genre a bit, but I dare not deny the poet in me.

Q: Where would you like to see the literary world go from here? Are there any dreams you have for our society as a whole in regards to writing and reading?

Dionne: That’s a huge question. I need to think about that for a while... I do hope that even as we evolve, develop, and experiment with all kinds of new technologies and interesting new ways to communicate, we remember to read (often), write (with intention), and wonder.

Q: You've done so much in your life, so what are your plans from here?

Dionne: You think? Maybe. Wow. Thank you. I feel like I’m just beginning, but no matter what is next in my life, I want to be sure I am fully present and engaged. I am so thankful for the opportunities I’ve had in my career. I really love this work, what I'm doing in the arts. I also enjoy my family, raising my three sons, they teach me so much: how to slow down, appreciate every breath, laugh, cry, reflect, and wonder. I write daily, in and around all the interestingness of life. Who knows what is next but I suppose I’m busy paying attention and in appreciation of now—oh and writing it all down of course.

The event will be held from 1-4 PM on Saturday, April 11 at Otterbein University Chapel, 88 Cochran Alley, Westerville, Ohio 43081. It is free and open to the public. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Casting a Line for Susan Glassmeyer's 'Invisible Fish'

by Chuck Salmons If you haven’t heard by now, OPA member and Cincinnati poet Susan Glassmeyer is the winner the Ohio Poetry Day Association’s 2018 Poet of the Year award, for her first full-length collection, Invisible Fish  (Dos Madres Press, 2018). On the heels of her winning, I corresponded with her to find out more about the collection and her writing process.  CS: First of all, congratulations on the award! Having read Invisible Fish, I know this is an honor that is well-deserved. How does it feel to have your name among past winners such as Mary Oliver, David Baker, and David Citino? SG: I was truly surprised to win this award, Chuck. I did some research after the fact and learned about the history of the award. What an honor to be part of this venerable Ohio poet lineage! I already own a few of the books on the list, not realizing the authors had previously won the award. And although I have many of Mary Oliver’s books, Twelve Moons (winner in 1980) was not among

Ohio Poetry Day Association names 2021 Poet of the Year and Contest Winners

The Ohio Poetry Day Association (OPDA) has selected Quartez Harris as its Ohio Poet of the Year for 2021. Harris was selected for his book of poems, We Made It to School Alive (Twelve Arts Press, 2020). Residing in Cleveland, Ohio, Harris is a second-grade teacher at Michael R. White Elementary School. We Made It to School Alive, his second collection of poetry, was inspired by his work as a teacher and gives voice to the experiences of the children he works with every day who deal with issues of gun violence, poverty, educational challenges, and more. Harris’ first book, N othing, But Skin,  was published in 2014 by Writing Knights Press. He is the first recipient of the Barbara Smith Writer-In-Resident at Twelve Literary Arts and a 2020 Baldwin House Fellow. He has been featured in the Plain Dealer, IdeaStream, and City Club of Cleveland, and recently signed on to be represented by Mckinnon Literary Agency. His works in progress are a young-adult novel and picture book biography. 

OPA 2023 Student Contest Winners

The Ohio Poetry Association (OPA) is pleased to announce the winners and honorable mentions of the 2023 High School Poetry Contests. Eligible poems were sent to the National Federation of State Poetry Societies, Inc. Manningham Trust Student Poetry Contest. All winning poems receive monetary awards and publication in an OPA chapbook. The grand prize-winning poem will be published in the 2024 issue of Common Threads ,  OPA's annual anthology. We sincerely thank each contest sponsor and judge and congratulate the teachers from each school with student winning poems and honorable mentions. Special thanks to contest coordinator Jessica Weyer-Bentley for all her hard work to coordinate this year’s contests. GRAND PRIZE WINNER "Dementia" - Austin Blake, Buckeye Local H.S. Teacher: Stephanie Crust Category 1. Ethos  Sponsor and Judge: Chuck Salmons  1st: "I Set Myself to Sound" - Diana Zhang (The Seven Hills School) 2nd: "Dora" - Anna Kunkel (The Seven Hills