Skip to main content

Featured poets at the 2015 OPA Picnic and Business Meeting

The annual picnic is a favorite OPA event. Poets from all over the state gather in one of Ohio's beautiful parks for food, fellowship, and poetry. It's like a family reunion where every member of your family cares about poetry as much as you do. This year's event promises to once again deliver that spirit of camaraderie along with great poetry.

It will be held at, Jeffrey Park, Memorial Shelter, 1965 N. Parkview Ave., Bexley, Ohio 43209. A short business meeting will be conducted from 10:30 - 11:30 am. The carry-in style picnic will be from noon until 3:45. At 1 pm, poets Kerry Jensen Trautman, Steve Brightman, and Wendy McVicker, as well as Student Voices winners and other special guests, will read poetry. There is an open mic too, so bring a poem or two to share.

As a lead up, we have asked each of the three featured poets to answer some questions about their poetry. We'll share their individual responses each week before the event.

Kerry Jensen Trautman


*photo by Adrian Lime
Do you draw inspiration from other poetry? If so, whose and why?  

The first poet I felt a real connectedness to Edna St. Vincent Millay. My high school American Lit teacher was a fan, and I memorized two of her poems to recite for an assignment. I remember having this sense that I could embody her words, that it made sense for her words to come from me in a way not other poetry had up til then. Linda Pastan is another influence. Both poets wrote from an unabashedly female perspective. Pastan writes about motherhood in a way I hadn't yet encountered, and I was a young mother at the time I found her work. It was validating to hear a woman writing through marriage and motherhood--finding the time and inspiration.

What three words best describe your own poetry?  

I hope: genuine, attentive, unpretentious. 

Do you have a writing routine? If so, describe it briefly. 

For a years I woke at dawn to write before the kids awoke and I had to begin my stay-at-home-mom-ness. It was a lovely to have coffee and the dark house all to myself. Eventually, though, the kids started waking earlier, and I find it hard to write with them all stirring around. I think I need a sense of privacy, of isolation, though I can write in public place with no problem. So now the work is piecemeal, with notebooks and scraps of paper in my purse, bedroom, coffee table and car. I'm always jotting notes as lines and ideas come, and I get them polished into real poems whenever I find time. 


Aside from poetry, what do you like to read? 

I wish I had more time to read. I get two daily newspapers, Poets & Writers Magazine, and Entertainment Weekly. I read some fiction, usually short stories, because they're easier to read in a quick gulp. I always have a stack of lit journals/zines which are my go-to for free afternoons, doctors waiting-rooms and airplanes.

What other activities do you enjoy (e.g., art, cooking, music) that may/may not influence your writing? 

I love movies and tv, and I enjoy baking/cooking, especially for friends. I fit in yardwork when I can, and I love wandering art fairs, and antique stores. All those things find their way into my writing.

***

Ohio born and raised, Kerry is a founding member of Toledo's Almeda St. Poets, and the Toledo Poetry Museum.  She is often seen at local poetry readings and events such as Artomatic 4-1-9, 100-Thousand Poets for Change, Back to Jack, and the Columbus Arts Festival. Kerry's poetry and short fiction have appeared in various journals, including Midwestern Gothic, Alimentum, The American Journal of Nursing, The Fourth River, Mock Turtle Zine, and Third Wednesday; as well as in anthologies such as, Tuesday Night at Sam and Andy’s Uptown Café (Westron Press, 2001), Mourning Sickness (Omniarts, 2008), Roll (Telling Our Stories Press, 2012), and Journey to Crone (Chuffed Buff Books, 2013).  Her most recent poetry chapbook is To Have Hoped from Finishing Line Press, 2015.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Casting a Line for Susan Glassmeyer's 'Invisible Fish'

by Chuck Salmons If you haven’t heard by now, OPA member and Cincinnati poet Susan Glassmeyer is the winner the Ohio Poetry Day Association’s 2018 Poet of the Year award, for her first full-length collection, Invisible Fish  (Dos Madres Press, 2018). On the heels of her winning, I corresponded with her to find out more about the collection and her writing process.  CS: First of all, congratulations on the award! Having read Invisible Fish, I know this is an honor that is well-deserved. How does it feel to have your name among past winners such as Mary Oliver, David Baker, and David Citino? SG: I was truly surprised to win this award, Chuck. I did some research after the fact and learned about the history of the award. What an honor to be part of this venerable Ohio poet lineage! I already own a few of the books on the list, not realizing the authors had previously won the award. And although I have many of Mary Oliver’s books, Twelve Moons (winner in 1980) was not among

Ohio Poetry Day Association names 2021 Poet of the Year and Contest Winners

The Ohio Poetry Day Association (OPDA) has selected Quartez Harris as its Ohio Poet of the Year for 2021. Harris was selected for his book of poems, We Made It to School Alive (Twelve Arts Press, 2020). Residing in Cleveland, Ohio, Harris is a second-grade teacher at Michael R. White Elementary School. We Made It to School Alive, his second collection of poetry, was inspired by his work as a teacher and gives voice to the experiences of the children he works with every day who deal with issues of gun violence, poverty, educational challenges, and more. Harris’ first book, N othing, But Skin,  was published in 2014 by Writing Knights Press. He is the first recipient of the Barbara Smith Writer-In-Resident at Twelve Literary Arts and a 2020 Baldwin House Fellow. He has been featured in the Plain Dealer, IdeaStream, and City Club of Cleveland, and recently signed on to be represented by Mckinnon Literary Agency. His works in progress are a young-adult novel and picture book biography. 

OPA 2023 Student Contest Winners

The Ohio Poetry Association (OPA) is pleased to announce the winners and honorable mentions of the 2023 High School Poetry Contests. Eligible poems were sent to the National Federation of State Poetry Societies, Inc. Manningham Trust Student Poetry Contest. All winning poems receive monetary awards and publication in an OPA chapbook. The grand prize-winning poem will be published in the 2024 issue of Common Threads ,  OPA's annual anthology. We sincerely thank each contest sponsor and judge and congratulate the teachers from each school with student winning poems and honorable mentions. Special thanks to contest coordinator Jessica Weyer-Bentley for all her hard work to coordinate this year’s contests. GRAND PRIZE WINNER "Dementia" - Austin Blake, Buckeye Local H.S. Teacher: Stephanie Crust Category 1. Ethos  Sponsor and Judge: Chuck Salmons  1st: "I Set Myself to Sound" - Diana Zhang (The Seven Hills School) 2nd: "Dora" - Anna Kunkel (The Seven Hills